For this assignment, I have chosen a narrative theme which documents the removal of a Scots Pine tree from my garden. I wanted to mark the passing of this tree. It has stood for more than 100 years and survived the 1987 storm. Its proximity to the house and the increasing severity of winter storms meant that I had to have it removed. Fortunately, my fears were justified as the base of the trunk had started to rot. The tree surgeon told me that in three years it would have become dangerously unstable.
The photographs were taken over three days, the first in bright autumn sunshine the remaining two days were wet and overcast. The nine prints that I have made should be viewed in chronological order and as a start I have laid out this “contact” sheet as a guide. The prints are read from the top and left to right:
I have asked my tutor to look at this post as the course notes suggest 5-10 prints. Sharon has already seen a tentative idea of the assignment at the Study Group on 19th October. While I am waiting for feedback I will start a post to my DPP Assignments blog and write up what I did to achieve these monochrome conversions.